Thursday, December 30, 2010

Traditions

Tradition: Noun.
1 : an inherited, established, or customary pattern of thought, action, or behavior (as a religious practice or a social custom) b : a belief or story or a body of beliefs or stories relating to the past that are commonly accepted as historical though not verifiable
2 : the handing down of information, beliefs, and customs by word of mouth or by example from one generation to another without written instruction
3 : cultural continuity in social attitudes, customs, and institutions
4 : characteristic manner, method, or style tradition>


John and I have discovered that we both LOVE our traditions. Thankfully, our traditions somewhat work together. This year, it worked out that each of our Christmas traditions were celebrated.

My family's big traditions happen on Christmas Eve and early Christmas morning. The festivities begin at the early church service. This year John and I went to Grace, which I really love. I am thankful that my family was able to work around us going to Grace. I love celebrating with my church family and then going to my birth family. We got to my parent's farm and ate dinner. Yummy Lutefisk and Lefse with Swedish meatballs, sweet potatoes, corn pudding, and more. Following dinner, we read the Christmas story and then say the Lord's Prayer. After that, we open our gifts to each other. We go to bed and wake up to our stockings filled. We open them and then have a egg breakfast with a Swedish tea ring, coffee, juice and fruit.

This year, following breakfast, John and I left to partake in his family's traditions. We arrived at his sister's house and began to open our big presents to each other. Then, we ate breakfast of an egg dish, Christmas bread, Patisa, and finished with our stocking gifts. We spend the afternoon together and then in the evening, we had an appetizer of Tortellinis, then a meal of steak, stuffed peppers with sweet potatoes, salad, and Lefse (which I brought into the evening). We drank Martinis, Cosmos, and Wine.

Why do we hold onto our traditions so much? My niece and nephews cannot stand to have their traditions broken. My family dared to think about not going to the Holidazzle this year and the kids (mostly Annica) could not understand why we would break this tradition!

There is something comforting and easy about traditions. I find they help me to celebrate, they give me certainty and steadiness in a world that can seem out of control. Traditions provide me with beauty and joy.

John and I are beginning to create our traditions that come with creating a new family. It is exciting to think about our own in addition to the ones that were created for us. It is based on our own preferences, experiences, and choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment